Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Soy Americano!


I went into work today like most Americans did. The powers that be decided to let us go at 1:00 so that we would will not get caught in the boycott parade that was due at 4:00. My office is on Wilshire Blvd, the afternoon protest route.

I left my office and jumped on the Red Line to down town. The march was beginning there and people had been gathering for speeches since morning.

There was an new energy in the air as I rode towards downtown. Latino and Asian families and friends laughing and nodding salutations. No one was a stranger today. It seemed we all shared a connection as we made our way towards City Hall. I imagined going to Times Square at the end of WWII was very similar. This was more than a protest. It was a celebration of who we are.

I got off the train and was greeted by a sea of familar looking faces drapped in red, white and blue. I walked amougst the crowd of white t-shirts and viewed the parade.

I silently struggled to fight back tears that were building within me. I wanted to joyfully cry for the power that I felt and the pureness in their intention. It was a great moment even if I did not completely agree with the cause. I secretly wished that this was happening in Mexico where change needs to occur, and I thanked the creater for allowing me to live in country where this can happen today.

I was never prouder to be a Mexican-American. Soy Americano! Viva the USA!


Related blog:
http://gayperspective.blogspot.com/2006/04/mexicansget-some-cojones.html

No comments: